Wednesday 18 December 2013

The Most Fun I Will Ever Have While Working

As detailed previously, I struggled in my last job at a glass painters, but I excelled in my latest job with a self storage company.

I have spent the past three days working for a firm involved in storage, removals, rubbish disposal and so forth. Whereas my last job required careful and precise work with glass, this labour relied on strength, tireless energy, and co-operation - all qualities I think I possess. Furthermore, care and precision were set aside in favour of  force and destruction, as much of the furniture and other stuff we picked up was no longer wanted. This was illustrated early on by my boss, whose primary method of destroying furniture was hurling it off the back of the truck, the wood smashing gloriously on the ground.

The business generally consists of two parts. One, collecting items from the customer's house and two, moving or getting rid of the stuff. My boss was especially skilled at the latter, knowing the cheapest ways of recycling various items and racking up an eBay feedback score of 13,000 (100% positive too).
Our first job on Monday was clearing an elderly lady's house of furniture that was now surplus to requirements due to her imminent move. The lifting was heavy at times but it wasn't too hard. Then, after a calorific refuel at Hungry Jack's (Burger King's Australian name), the fun started. In order to maximise the amount of waste that could be fitted in the truck we had to bust up the furniture we picked up earlier as well as some previously collected items. I whacked closets with a crowbar, smashed tables on the ground, and kicked shelves till they fell off, then tossed the liberated pieces of wood into a truck. It was the most fun I will ever have while working.
My boss was a pretty funny man. After we eventually dunked a cumbersome sofa bed into the van he remarked "piece of shit" with comedic timing. While peering down the back of a sofa he exclaimed "it's a fifty dollar note!", but not fooling the pensioner who instantly replied with "I wish". Although in this case there were only a handful of 50 cent coins hidden, my employer told me stories of how he has found wads upon wads of notes stashed away inside furniture by elderly people with a distrust of the financial system. This customer then retorted to me "You're a pom! We're beating you" in reference to the cricket. The Aussies are unbearable in defeat, right down to the last one of them. It wasn't just my boss' Cleese-esque timing and amusing habit of insulting inanimate objects that made him funny. There was something about his facial expressions while destroying furniture and general cunning that had me stifling schoolboy style giggles for the majority of my first day. The two of us got on well and we enjoyed good, often cricket related chat in the van while moving between jobs.

The next day was strenuous as after disposing of Monday's trash at a landfill site we tackled a full house move. A German lad from the hostel joined me for eight hours and four trucks worth of removals. Unsurprisingly I was aching on Wednesday, but it was a comparatively light day although one job was rather annoying due to the necessity of using a lift to get to the customer's apartment and garage.

It was easily the most enjoyable job so far and I'll be back for more work with this employer.


It seems that even industrial landfill sites are not immune from juvenile sign adjustment banter.

No comments:

Post a Comment