Thursday 12 December 2013

Album Review: Air - Moon Safari

Perhaps the most crucial piece of preparation I did for my trip was finding and acquiring a number of travel albums that I would gradually introduce myself to over the course of the adventure. The thinking was that these records would not only give me with some new music to keep my collection fresh, but also provide a soundtrack to the journey, so that when I listen to the songs in the future I am instantly taken back to my Australia days. This blog is going to be punctuated with reviews of my travel albums as I get to grips with them. The first record that I have listened to enough to review is Moon Safari by Air.

Air is a French electronic duo formed in the 1995 and still active today. Moon Safari, their breakthrough release, came out in 1998 and was something of a chart botherer - reaching number six in the UK album charts and also spawning several Top 40 singles. 15 years on, I hope this record hasn't been lost to the sands of time, because it is very, very good.
If I had to pick one word to describe the album it would be relaxing. When I've felt tired on this trip, I've lied flat on my back, closed my eyes and sent Moon Safari through my headphones, and I have always come out the other side feeling refreshed.

The album starts very strongly, beginning with 'La Femme D'argent'. A seven minute instrumental track whose synths and bass take you on a winding journey through a city at night. It's a fantastic way to start the record, as it sets the tone for the album and by the four minute mark you are already lost in the music. Next up is single 'Sexy Boy', one of the dancier cuts on offer here, it is a melodic number that introduces the distorted vocals that play a big part in the record. Without a doubt, track 3, the mellow 'All I Need', is one of the best songs on the album. Written and sung by American Beth Hirsch, her vocals are soothing and this is a gorgeous track that is especially powerful sandwiched between the more upbeat 'Sexy Boy' and 'Kelly Watch the Stars'. The rest of the album is of similar quality and style - there are more atmospheric instrumental efforts, more use of the voice distorter, and Beth Hirsch appears again on the wonderful 'You Make It Easy'.

At 10 tracks and 43 minutes, Moon Safari is just the right length. There are no tracks on here you would want to skip and it doesn't drag on. Furthermore, the record flows nicely and feels like a complete piece of work, in part due to the variety of vocals or lack thereof at times.

The next time you need a rest, I strongly recommend lying flat on your back, closing your eyes, and listening to Moon Safari.

8/10


No comments:

Post a Comment